Monday, November 16, 2009

Chunky cabled scarf



I have the luxury of writing this post on a Monday, since I'm trying to use up some vacation days before the end of the year by extending my weekends. It's pretty great-- I had time this weekend to finish this scarf I started working on a few weeks ago. It is two strands of dark brown (sometimes charcoal, in the right light) Cascade 220 yarn knit together in a chunky cable pattern I made up.

I bought the yarn from Purl by my work in Soho, and this scarf took me forever to finish because once I decided I needed more yarn and went back to get more, they were out of this color (I hear a couple of other people bought it all up for sweaters and blankets, so I guess in spite of the delay it caused me I can rest assured I chose a popular color). I'm not trying to say anything bad about Purl for running out, because it does happen... on the contrary, I should give the staff credit for being polite enough to me when I called every day to bother them until the next Cascade shipment arrived!



I'm back and forth on whether I like the cabled Ruben's empanada-looking edge I chose to do... Sometimes it lays the way it should, and sometimes it looks like a twisted ruffle. All in all though I'm pleased with how it turned out. I was so excited to have finished it that I tried to wear it out this weekend, in spite of the mild fall weather we've been having for the past few days. It's a little much to end up carrying over your arm for an entire evening when it's not too cold, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it once it does get miserably Arctic out there.

4 comments:

  1. so lovely! glad you made it long, it must be super cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful!

    I never put my knitting on my blog, with the exception of my baktus scarf. Maybe I should...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your scarf Carmen! I can't wait to learn how to knit cables!

    ReplyDelete